From: "Horn, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wow.  Thanks very much (and everyone else who responded as well)!!
Much more than I expected.

Glad to be of help.

> 1) It's not the end of the world.

I know it definitely isn't the end of the world.  It helps a lot to
finally know what is going on and have some answers to (previously)
bewildering behavior.  And strategies for coping and dealing with
it.  One of the most wonderful things is to finally have an answer
for the other parents who kept saying "Why don't you just spank
her/discipline more/etc?"  We knew instinctively that that was
absolutely the wrong thing to do.  Now we know why.

Wish my dad had had your instincts!

> I wouldn't advise her to become, say, an accountant

She's wanted to be a kindergarten teacher since she was in, well,
kindergarten.  She's kinda obsessed with it.  ;-)

Well, then - go for it! One of my close friends, Jay Bainbridge, is a painter who teaches preschool - at a local synagogue. (Did they mind that he's not Jewish? No, but he gets the High Holy Days off anyway.)

.  It
seems that AS presents itself differently in girls so that makes it
very difficult to pick good books.

Autobiographies.

Gorilla Nation by Dawn Price-Hughes (or is it Hughes-Price?) Love her observation that academic politics makes a lot more sense when you treat the department heads and senior professors as if they were silverbacks.

Pretending to be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey. I was grabbed by the title because it was my autobiography in two words. Excellent book; interesting person. And ... DO watch BONES on TV.

Speaking of medicine, she's been
on an anti-depressant for a bit which seems to be making a big
difference.  She just started a stimulant a week ago.  Too early to
see if it has had any effect at this point.

I've been on caffeine for 52 years. Self-medication seems to be part of it.

> 3) Again in my observation, Aspies come in roughly two
> flavors: the organized, single-focused, linear mind; and the
> absent-minded professor/free-spirited idea mill. Inattentive
> ADD goes with the latter. If you have any use for the
> Myer-Briggs at all, these map very roughly onto INTJ and INTP
> respectively. I mention this because books on the Myer-Briggs
> (a system which is totally non-judgmental and IMO the only
> system that does NOT make judgments) has a lot of good tips
> for life, love, acreers, and living with your... in this
> case, I'd say INTP --- which are quite useful even though
> they're designed for the 'normal' end of the spectrum.

The second one of those is definitely my daughter.

Wait a minute, *I'm" INTP!!  Hmmm....  My wife and I are very into
Myers-Briggs.  I'm not sure what my daughter is.  I don't think it
is either one of those, though.  I'll have to ask my wife.

YEs, the "kindergarten teacher" interest isn't the usual INTP thing, is it? However, whatever she is, go for it.

I'll have to keep that one in mind.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, it helps a lot!

  - jmh