At 10:50 AM Thursday 6/8/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

As part of my work, I do some occasional environmental scanning of the  gov't
"business opportunities".  I don't usually even read all the NASA  ones
(although truth be told I do find them tempting to check out and have done so on
occasion), but as I was scrolling, the following caught my eye.

NASA
Langley Research Center
Office of  Procurement
A--NON-DESTRUCTIVE EVALUATION ASSESSMENT TEAM  MEMBER
Synopsis
_http://www.fbo.gov/spg/NASA/LaRC/OPDC20220/NNL06NDEATM/listing.html_
(http://www.fbo.gov/spg/NASA/LaRC/OPDC20220/NNL06NDEATM/listing.html)

It seemed clearer after scrolling back up one entry to read the following,
but I still found it mildly amusing for some obscure reason

NASA
Langley Research Center
Office of Procurement
A--DEVELOPMENT  OF AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING MATERIALS (ASTM) DOCUMENT
STANDARDS FOR  NONDESTRUCTIVE EVALUATION (NDE) OF AEROSPACE COMPOSITES
Synopsis
_http://www.fbo.gov/spg/NASA/LaRC/OPDC20220/NNL06ASTM/listing.html_
(https://owa.mse1.mailstreet.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.fbo.gov/spg/NASA/L
aRC/OPDC20220/NNL06ASTM/listing.html)

Dee

Back in my days as an Air Force test engineer, another program was headed by a captain at the other end of the same building. He started off with 5 examples of a new model UAV ("unmanned aerial vehicle": an ancestor of the Predator they're using in the Middle East today) and in a particularly hard couple of weeks had lost three of them in test flights (two of them to the same problem with the parachutes used for recovery, one to a completely different one: a "+" sign in the flight control software which should have been a "-" sign). About that time, a copy of a revised tech manual appeared in my in-box, a thin volume with a title something about "Non-Destructive Testing Methods," so I took it and placed it on that captain's desk when he was out of his office, with a note suggesting he might find it useful in his project. When he got back he got a big laugh out of it . . .

-- Ronn!  :P

Professional Smart-Aleck Even Then. Do Not Attempt Because I Have Years More Experience.