On Jun 28, 2006, at 10:55 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

On 29/06/2006, at 4:06 AM, Dave Land wrote:
Fuel that, when burning, generates less than 800 degrees C, about a third of the temperature needed to melt the steel used in the WTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Phase_diag_iron_carbon- color_temp.png

You will see that iron undergoes a phase change at 600C, becoming soft and pliable. It is this phase change that allows farriers and swordsmiths to shape iron in a controlled manner. Steel changes from the solid metal it is at room temperature, to a material with a consistency and structural integrity about the same as well-chewed gum.

And, of course, it doesn't matter how much fuel there was. They could have FILLED every floor of building with a couple of feet of Jet A and replaced the air with pure oxygen, and it still couldn't possibly burn hot enough to bring the buildings down.

If you accept that the fuel burns above 600C as you have above, you *have* to accept that the structural integrity of the floors where the fuel fires were was fatally compromised by the heat, as the Fe phase diagram shows.

I do believe the soft-butter theory could have some merit and look forward to real studies we can sink teeth into and chew properly. As I understand it Underwriters Labs put the original steel, and debris samples, under 2,000° for several hours without deformity - which strikes a pretty notable blow to the theories as promulgated. It's described as 'sailing through' the tests. Perhaps this will change, but it still appears dubious given the paint chips another UL lab examined reveal less than 500° maximum heat and a mere 2% of these samples came close to this temperature. I have yet to see a model - or even discussion - on how such metal is a renowned heat wick and just how this would have mitigated total systemic collapse... unless the argument is that this apparently minimal heat was X-ferred down the entire skeleton structure... leading to the "Soft Butter" support member lack of resistance that allowed the entire building to fall at damn-near free-fall speeds - all at once.
Seems a stretch.

I don't come to my conclusions easily, nor with any comfort. And I can certainly eat some nourishing helpings of crow when appropriate. I've found it chock-full of wholesome psychic vitamins good for one's moral constitution as well - but I'm leaving the stewing pot on the shelf for now.

- Jonathan -