--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Gibson Jonathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Charlie,
> I've read over RFK's piece in Rolling Stone, " Was the 2004
> Election Stolen?"
> http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/
> was_the_2004_election_stolen and it seems pretty damning against
> an   honest election this last go around.

Kennedy's article has been pretty thoroughly debunked:
 http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2006/06/is_rfk_jr_right.html

Well, let me clarify that - RFK is hardly alone in pointing out that
ou electoral system in this country is broken, that it is an
embarassment to democracy, and incredibly poorly run.   (As an
aside, is there a non-partisan organization tha has been set up to
lobby for electoral reform?)

With that being said, Kennedy's assertion that the available
evidence effectively proves the existence of pro-Republican voter
fraud in 2004 is not supported by the evidence.  I strongly
encourage reading the full multi-part article from Mystery Pollster
(which is one of the best blogs out there), but for those who don't,
in a nutshell here is the scoop:

1) There is much past evidence of exit polls favoring Democrats, and
favoring supporters who were much more "fired up" about their
candidate.

2) Statistical error is hardly the only source of error in an exit
poll.  In many cases, exit pollsters are unable to stand as close as
desirable to a polling place's exit.  Exit pollsters are often
inexperienced, they may accept volunteers (which is inapprorpiate),
or may otherwise fail to conduct a random sample.     In addition,
non-response error in exit polls may be very significant.

JDG