jdiebremse wrote:
Harder than the decision to carry the child to birth?   Harder than
the decision to give up the child for adoption?   Harder than the
decision to raise the child?

I don't like the way "Brother John" attempts to villify those who
choose abortion.   I think those that choose abortion are far, far,
far more often victims than villains.   At the same time, however, I
am not comfortable with the characterization of choosing to have an
abortion as being "the hardest decision."   The other possible
decisions are almost certainly equally hard, if not harder.
I'm sorry I come across as "vilifying" those who choose abortion. I would much rather come across as someone who finds it lamentable that so many pregnancies are unwanted. We move heaven and earth to preserve and protect endangered species. Look how highly we value such great art works as the Mona Lisa, the Last Supper, and the treasure in the Louvre and other museums around the world. Would all these abortions take place if we valued children as highly? I don't think so, and that says something about us as a people. Why do we value children so little? There was a time, earlier in our history as a nation, when a pregnancy was a cause for great rejoicing, not only for the mother and father-to-be, but for all of the neighbors, and for the community. There was a great stigma to having children out of wedlock, and married women who were unable to conceive and have children were objects of pity. Children were considered great treasures. Women died in childbirth, and families had many children because there was no assurance that more than half of them would live to adulthood. Today we treat pregnancies as a great inconvenience in many cases, and an utter disaster in others. Of all the children that are actually born, how many are thought of as the great treasures that they are? I don't mean to vilify those who get abortions. I feel sorry for them because they didn't want the child. I don't think that "murder" is taking place, but I consider it one of life's greatest tragedies that so many children are unwanted even to the point of putting an end to the pregnancies that do occur. A pregnancy should almost always be a cause for great rejoicing by the mother, the father, the grandparents, and the whole community.

And it is a fact that there are many women who are emotionally unable to abort their children. The maternal love they feel for the unborn child is so great that they simply cannot do it. It is too bad that all women are not like that. If they were, there would not be nearly as many women who value their "right to choose" above the life of an unborn child in any stage of its development. Even if abortion is not murder, and I do not think it is, it is a terrible comment on the kind of people we are and the kind of nation we have become.

Finally, the enormous problem of illegal immigration that we are having here in the USA is caused in part by the huge birthrate among the Hispanic people who live in Mexico and other nations of Latin America. We aren't having children, and they are. Even here in the USA the birthrate among the Hispanic people is much higher than among the Anglo-Americans who have been here much longer. We ourselves used to be an enormously fertile and prolific people. Our ascendancy over the Native Americans who were here before us is as much a factor of the difference in our relative birthrates as anything else. We were growing like crazy. We had huge families and we did a good job of taking care of them in comparison with the Native Americans of the same period. We literally populated a whole continent from "sea to shining sea." Today we are just barely replacing ourselves and in some places there would be no grown in our population whatever if it were not for Hispanic immigrants and the large families they have before and after coming here.

Well, if we don't reproduce, we will just be replaced. That is just a biological fact. We can agonize and discuss endlessly the moral and religious aspects, but simple biology dictates that there is a relationship between nativity and mortality. And that if a species or a subgroup of a species does not reproduce, it dies out. Biologically the definition of a healthy and vigorous population is tied to the food supply and the effect that has on reproduction. Populations grow or they die out. If our culture has become as sterile and barren as it seems to have, then the future is not good for us regardless of the minor nits we like to endless discuss when the topic of abortion comes up.