--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 3) Not stating that there was an imminent threat is not the same
> > as stating that there is not an imminent threat.
>
> Irrelevant.  The point is that it was not a foundation for saying
> that there were WMDs or there was an immediate threat.

Nick,

I find your reaction to be astonishing.  Indeed, I suspect it is at
the heart of our inability to communicate.  The quote you have cited
from George Tenet said "the NIE did not say that there was an
imminent threat."   You, however, have interpreted this statement as
saying "the NIE said that the threat from Iraq was *not imminent.*"

The two statements, however, are not equal.   As I have pointed out
earlier, the NIE dealt with factual questions.  The determination of
the imminence of the threat is a political question, which as near
as I can tell, the NIE was *silent*, even *agnostic*, on.   Perhaps
I am wrong in that, but if I am, it would be usefull for you to
support your contention with quotes from the NIE supporting it.

JDG