On 06/08/2006, at 3:19 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

Given the situation, I don't think there was a way to ratchet up pressure from what it was. The US was forward deployed and combat ready in a way
that it wasn't ready to sustain for a year.

Because of the way they ramped up. There was a UN weapons inspection program. Yes, Saddam was still playing games with the terms of the last UNSC resolution, but the US wasn't going to wait for the report from Hans Blix.

I think that the US could have
got a resolution at the UN that would allow for the imposition of smart sanctions, but I think that, as the bribing of the French UN delegate shows,
that even smart sanctions would have workarounds.

I'm not talking about sanctions. I'm talking about a phased renewal. It was obvious in the first 24 hours that Saddam had zero response, the brave fighting talk of the legendary Iraqi Information Minister aside. The plan showed zero flexibility. Pause, regroup, and get the engineers into the southern towns reconnecting water and power asap. Make it better. Then move on.

I do agree, thought, that Hussein could have waited a couple of years, given what we knew at the time. We could have focused our effort on rebuilding
Afghanistan, pouring a good deal of money into that small country.

Also true, and something I was arguing strongly at the time.

The "Coalition" could have genuinely won the "hearts and minds" of the
Iraqis. There must have been better ways than what they chose.

There were. And, the ironic part of it was that those better plans were available to be used before the war. The State Department, using their expertise in development, had a well developed, realistic plan for post war Iraq. In addition, the present ambassador, who by all accounts is very
skilled at his job, was ready to step in and start things moving.

Unfortunately, Bush decided to go for the Cheney/Rumsfeld "plan" which was nothing more than loosely sketched wishful thinking. Day care managers who had their resumes on the Heritage Foundation website ended up running the Iraq economy, while the youngest project manager in the history of the JFK school of government, who's experience was in international development in
Russia, had his application tabled for months on end.  He had the
application in, knowing full well that he might die as a result, but feeling that success in Iraq was critical for the next 20 years. He is, of course,
our own Gautam.

This is where I fault the administration. To me, it has all the elements of
a true tragedy.  The quest, overturning a cruel dictator and bringing
democracy and prosperity to the Iraqi people, is heroic.  The quest is
betrayed by the hubris of the key players: the Bush administration. As a
result, they do untold damage to their own cause.

And the biggest missed opportunity of all - where's the pressure on Mugabe, and the other African dictators? While the American military can't take any more on right now, the diplomatic corps ought to be sending strong messages to these tyrants - buck up or you're next. Not this year, maybe not next year, but your card is marked. It would be the single best bit of evidence that the Bush Administration is after democracy, not revenge or power games or oil.

Charlie