--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Obviously, my response was much more extensive than the selection
you
> > quoted. While snipping quoted text is to be encouraged, snipping
> > quoted text as means of misrepresenting the original argument is
dirty
> > pool.
>
> I don't see how I can be accused of selective quoting when in the
> part of my reply which you snipped I specifically agreed that US
> logistical and humanitarian aid was valuable: "American contributions
> to support and humanitarian aid are duly noted."

I think that Dan M. provided an outstanding rebuttal, so I will second
his remarks, and only add a few of my own.

My objection to your post is that you asked if  I view genocide to be a
"criminal problem", rather than a "military problem."    I don't believe
that any fair reading of my original post, where I cited US
contributions to the military efforts in Sudan as well could have
reached that conclusion.

Indeed, the original question was whether "the US had been a leader in
Sudan"?   You've attempted to equate "leadership" with putting
rank-and-file soldiers on the ground in Sudan.   This seems to be a very
parochial view of leadership - one that leaves aside any sort of
diplomatic leadership, and which neglects other sorts of military
contributions besides rank-and-file soldiers.

JDG