Perhaps inspired by today's pink unicorn sighting, allow me mumble a bit
about evil and ethics (not just a county in England, as Tom Holt says).

When I arrived at Kenyon College a couple of decades ago for my freshman
year, one of the rites of passage was a talk by the provost, whose name I
wish I could recall.  He had been a spy during World War II and interviewed
Nazi scientists at Nuremburg.  He told us of some of the atrocities these
men had committed.  The one that stuck with me was their "experiment" of
placing pregnant women (from Poland) in vats of water, then heating the
water to see at what temperature they aborted.  They were doing horrible,
awful things, for years on end.

Do you know what they said when I asked they why they did these things, the
provost asked us?  They did not say it was for Germany.  They did not say it
was for the Third Reich.  They did not say it was for the Fuhrer.  No, they
said their work was done in the name of science, of learning.

Religions of all sorts warn against the danger of greed for power and
money.  Further, most warn that the most dangerous people are those who use
religion itself to accumulate power and money.  It is easy to criticize
religion based on the actions of those who use it to gain power or money (as
we all do sometimes, I'm sure) and turn a blind eye to the warnings and
criticism within religion to avoid that constant temptation.  And I am sure
that those who have had religious power used against them have the most
difficult time seeing any good at all in religion.

I can find in myself the attitude of the Nazi scientists -- let's do this
just to find out, to learn, to educate ourselves because education and
knowledge are good!  But my faith pulls me in another direction, one that
questions my intention, assumes that I am never of one heart, never of one
mind, in a constant internal tug of war between my greedy selfish self,
which is measurable via behavior, economic and biological sciences, v. the
compassionate, accepting self, revealed by my charity... and charity, when
measured, quickly stops being charity.  Keeping score gets in the way of
loving my neighbor.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett