On 4 Sep 2006 at 20:50, Richard Baker wrote:

> Andrew said:
>
> > Ah, yes, you're quite right. On a quick investigation, for some
> > reason the external search I used gave me the *upgrade* price for an
> > existing PC.
>
> That one isn't even remotely the same processor. It has a 533MHz
> front-size bus, 512KB of cache, a single core, and is based on the
> obsolete Netburst microarchitecture. The 5150s in the Mac Pro have a
> 1333MHz front-size bus, 4MB of cache, two cores and are based on the
> new Core microarchitecture. The Core architecture has much better
> performance per clock cycle than NetBurst does too, so the fact that
> the two have the same clock speed is extremely misleading.
>
> (You may be interested to know - or may already know - that the Core
> microarchitecture was designed by Intel's team in Haifa.)

Yes, I did.

> I was pretty much astonished by the price and performance of the Mac
> Pro, especially as someone who spends quite a bit of money on Xeon
> servers to run Windows applications.

And I don't know that much about them because for what I do, I'm
nearly allways GPU-limited or bus-limited, not CPU-limited. So I'm
looking at high-end graphics cards combined with a (dual core) 4600
Mhz Athlon X2.

The only people (and of course, the high-performance servers..) who
have Opteron/Xeon processors at work are the video specalists.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon