I'm not sure that you see the same basic arguments that I do. I see his two
main points as:

1) The conventional dating of human artifacts in lakes is conventionally
early because it was taken from lakes.  We have established that old
sediment in lakes does get mixed up with newer human artifacts in other
lakes, thus it is possible that this is seen on Easter Island.  Further,
since we found a wonderful spot to excavate on the one good beach on the
island, and have established an earliest date of 800 AD there, this is the
most probable time of landing.  Therefore, the deforestation started at the
beginning of the period.

2) Investigation of deforestation in other Polynesian islands has given us a
model for a likely scenario.  Both humans and rats have been tied to
deforestation.  However, we do not have a case of massive deforestation with
humans alone, while we do have a case of minimal human artifacts and
evidence of a substantial rat population tied to deforestation.  Thus, there
is at least some evidence that rats have a stronger impact than humans.

That seems reasonable to me on an offhand basis, but it will take a while
for this work to take its place in the forming consensus.  My point is not
really that all of Diamonds assertions have been proven wrong by new
research.  My point is that we know fairly little about cultures such as
these.  Popular science programs (especially on places like the Discovery
channel) often/usually overstate the scientific certainty in such matters.
Reports of cannibalism are not sufficient to show a very large population
(15k or so) that dwindled due to deforestation.

I think a key point in the moral tale is the assumption that the population
lived on the island for hundreds of years before the deforestation took
place. This fits well with people who are in touch with the land and know
how to live wisely.  The moral tale then has them fall from grace, and using
up resources on trivial things (the statues being the best example).  If,
however, the problems start with the rats gnawing seeds from the very
beginning, as well as human cultivation from the very beginning, a different
picture emerges.

This leads to my argument.  It is dangerous to make general conclusions from
limited data about prehistoric civilizations  (prehistoric in the sense that
we do not have a history of the civilization to study.)

Dan M.