At 10:14 PM Friday 9/22/2006, David Hobby wrote:
... Especially when you subtract two nearly equal numbers.

Computers do, but do no programming environments take account of
this, by marking recurring numbers as such?

Anyone know how Mathematica works?

-- Ronn!  :)

Ronn--

I believe it avoids decimal approximations unless they are
specifically asked for.  Rational numbers would always be
represented internally as pairs of integers.  And this
continues; almost everything is represented symbolically.

So (1 + sqrt(2))^2 is exactly 3 + 2*sqrt(2), etc.

                                ---David

As one would expect from the name, Maru

I thought it was something of the sort, but I figured someone else here might know better than I do. (I've been a good little boy and not attempted to reverse engineer the copy I have here. :P As to finding the book in all this stuff, I'm not sure I'd have an idea where to start more exact than the room it's most likely in . . . :( )

-- Ronn!  :)