--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On the eve of the 2004 election, a liberal Christian pastor in
Pasadena
> > preached (what is reportedly) a highly political anti-war and
> > anti-poverty sermon with the result that the IRS is threatening to
take
> > away the church's tax-exempt status. I haven't read the entire
sermon,
> > but it is available on the NPR web site for anyone who is
interested.

> The text of the sermon is here:

http://www.allsaints-pas.org/pdf/(10-31-04)%20If%20Jesus%20Debated.pdf#s\
earch=%22regas%20sermon%22
<http://www.allsaints-pas.org/pdf/(10-31-04)%20If%20Jesus%20Debated.pdf#\
search=%22regas%20sermon%22>

It looks like Dave Land may have spoken too soon.   In my first glance
at this speech, I see a speech that might get close to the existing
legal lines, but does not, in my estimation cross over them.

The speech is a little in the gray area, because despite some rhetorical
flourishes that attempt to appear to criticize both Kerry and Bush, the
speech is, in fact, a systematic knock-down of much of Bush's platform.
Nevertheless, I think that expressing opinions on specific issues - even
if those positions align with those of a specific candidate - should be
permissible for tax-exempt religious organizations.

With that being said, I don't understand how the pastor can imagine
Jesus saying that the State has no right to impose its view of when
human life begins on other people, that there "can never be a just law
requiring uniformity of behavior on the abortion issue," but that the
State has a moral imperative to take other people's property and give it
to others.  It seems to be that that is getting it exactly backwards -
surely if the State can intervene on behalf of property it can intervene
on human life.

So, I don't find much to like in this sermon - its lofic seems
completely fuzzy and faulty, but with that being said, I don't find
anything here to jeopardize its tax-exempt status.

JDG