On 9/25/2006 5:44:39 PM, Nick Arnett ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Iraq will not sink the US.
>
> We're sure as heck stuck in it.

Well.......... I understand why most people would say that. But in
fact we could leave any time we wanted to............. if we possessed
the "will" to do so.
The fact that we are still there and likely to remain for a good while
tells me that we are concerned more with how we look to the rest of
the world and more importantly how we would view ourselves if we did
indeed leave after creating (to a great degree the situation there is
result of our actions) a very messy situation.

To clarify my remark that you respond to, Iraq will not cause the
downfall of the US.
But because we disdain having anything less than the most positive
self-image, we will continue to tell ourselves (in our weird national
dialogue/monologue via the unique American metaconsciousness) that
great gobs of tar are the merest of smudges, and if anyone gives
notice of our La Brea coif we will point out the stains remaining from
their own historical tarbaby encounters.
(I often wonder if our national metaconsciousness is incapable of
appreciating irony)

xponent
Brer Rabbit Revels Maru
rob