> Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 04/10/2006, at 9:16 AM, Deborah Harrell wrote:

> > C) Both can be eaten, however:
> >   i.  Oranges are part of a healthy, nutritious
> diet.
> >   ii. Offal is not - unless you are a vulture.

> Yes it is. But then I was born in Britain, where
> haggis, tripe, black
> pudding and liver hotpot are regulars on the menu.

And we have another different interpretation of a word
from GB to US; the first definition below implies
edibility, but the ones after it do not.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=offal
Main Entry: of·fal
Pronunciation: 'o-f&l, 'ä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from of off + fall
1 : the waste or by-product of a process: as a :
trimmings of a hide b : the by-products of milling
used especially for stock feeds c : the viscera and
trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing:
VARIETY MEAT
2 : RUBBISH

http://www.brainydictionary.com/words/of/offal195880.html
Offal
1. The rejected or waste parts of a butchered animal.
2. A dead body; carrion.
3. That which is thrown away as worthless or unfit for
use; refuse; rubbish.

http://www.brainydictionary.com/words/ga/garbage168166.html
Garbage
1. Offal, as the bowels of an animal or fish; refuse
animal or vegetable matter from a kitchen; hence,
anything worthless, disgusting, or loathsome.
2. To strip of the bowels; to clean.

>From the American Heritage Dictionary:
http://www.answers.com/main/ntq-tname-offal-fts_start-
1) Waste parts, especially of a butchered animal.
2) Refuse; rubbish.

> Nothing wrong with offal in moderation. Liver is an
> excellent source
> of vitamin A and iron. (Just don't eat too much,
> acute hypervitaminosis is a nasty way to go).

<grin>  _We_ call liver and organ meats etc. "variety
meats," not wanting to be accused of eating waste
parts!

Debbi
Americish Instead Of English Maru   ;)