Dave Land asked:

> How, exactly?
>
> I was invited to take part in door-to-door get-out-the-vote
> canvassing to help Democrat Jerry McNerney defeat Richard
> Pombo in California's 11th district, which borders my
> district to the South and East, but I think that's a long way
> from "going into the arena and making it for myself."
>
> Sure, I write letters to my representative (Zoe Lofgren) and
> Senators (Boxer and Feinstein), but that is still a far cry
> from "going into the arena and making it for myself." It's
> still just dealing with Tweedles of varying intelligence.
>
> So, really, what did you have in mind?

Being brave and/or crazy enough to enter politics yourself, form a party
with like-minded individuals, and offer people a decent alternative.

Of course, the costs are very high, especially in terms of privacy,
family time, basic scurity etc, and I am not willing to pay them right
now...and so I grumble less frequently.

But it is a viable option, and it is less destructive/chaos inducing
than a revolution outside the system. Of course, if the changes you want
to make are far-reaching enough, as mine are, then you also have to
accept the fact that you're likely have only one term in office. That
is, if no one assassinates you soon after you put the changes into
practice.

Ritu