I wrote:

<big DEFANGED_snip>
> Well, I've got to go, so will send this incomplete
> post;  my rank tyro interpretation of the Mayan
> collapses is that they had more to do with bad
> societal choices, with environment degradation a
> lesser cause (although some of those choices led to
> deforestation and so on).

But this article hints otherwise:

http://meta-religion.com/Archaeology/Central_america/lost_mayan_ruins.htm
...Scientists believe the Maya fell prey to a number
of cataclysmic environmental problems, including
deforestation and drought, that led to their downfall,
Irwin said. "The world continues to battle the
devastating effects of drought today, from the arid
plains of Africa to the southern United States," he
said. "The more we know about the plight of the Maya,
the better our chances of avoiding something similar."

Another aspect of the research involved using climate
models to determine the effects of Maya-driven
deforestation on ancient Mesoamerican climate. The
goal of this effort was to determine whether
deforestation can lead to droughts and if the
activities of the ancient Maya drove the environmental
changes that undermined their civilization...

Debbi
Now I'll Really Go Maru