I see where it sorta does that, but her statement is still disingenuous.
Basically, it is possible for Bush to rule that a US citizen is an unlawful
enemy combatant, but the law that lets him do that specifically excludes
citizens from being tried by these military commissions.

I found the bill at a Georgetown Law School website.  It's at:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/nkk/documents/MilitaryCommissions.pdf#
search=%22military%20commission%20act%20of%202006%20text%22

http://tinyurl.com/gvyrk

I quickly read through the bill...and then focused on the beginning, where
the scope of the bill was set out.  Let me quote from the bill:

<quote>
Alien unlawful enemy combatants may be
tried for violations of the law of war and other offenses
triable by military commissions committed against the
United States or its co-belligerents before, on, or after
September 11, 2001.
<end quote>

This is the key provision of the bill, as far as I can see.  (If someone
else wants to also go through the bill, I'd be more than happy to have them
double check my work.)  There are some key words here that need to be
defined....which they are in the bill:

<quote>
ALIEN.-The term 'alien' means an in- 3
dividual who is not a citizen of the United States.....

 "(7) UNLAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT.-The
term 'unlawful enemy combatant' means an indi-
vidual determined by or under the authority of the
President or the Secretary of Defense-
"(A) to be part of or affiliated with a
force or organization-including but not
limited to al Qaeda, the Taliban, any interna-
tional terrorist organization, or associated
forces-engaged in hostilities against the

United States or its co-belligerents in viola-
tion of the law of war;
"(B) to have committed a hostile act
in aid of such a force or organization so en-
gaged; or
"(C) to have supported hostilities in
aid of such a force or organization so en-
gaged.
"This definition includes any individual de-
termined by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal,
before the effective date of this Act, to have been
properly detained as an enemy combatant, but ex-
cludes any alien determined by the President or the
Secretary of Defense (whether on an individual-
ized or collective basis), or by any competent tri-
bunal established under their authority, to be (i) a
lawful enemy combatant (including a prisoner of
war), or (ii) a protected person whose trial by these
military commissions would be inconsistent with
Articles 64-76 of the Geneva Convention Relative
to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of
War of August 12, 1949. For purposes of this sec-
tion, the term "protected person" refers to the cate-
gory of persons described in Article 4 of the Ge-
neva Convention Relative to the Protection of Ci-
vilian Persons in Time of War of August 12, 1949.
<end quote>

Now, do I find problems with this?  Yes.  I think it's overly broad, and
risks allowing presidents to make broad interpretations of this law to
detain non-citizens on their word alone.  I agree with Specter that some
parts of this law are probably unconstitutional.  But, the law
_specifically_ addresses the treatment of aliens, not citizens.  So, by this
law, I think the President could declare a citizen an "unlawful enemy
combatant", but he clearly could not subject a citizen to these
tribunals...because...by the definition of alien given within the
bill...citizens are excluded.

Let me go back to my problem with this bill, and with Bush's actions in
general.  The main risk to liberty that I see from what Bush has done is not
who he has spied on, or the imprisonment of foreign nationals.  In doing
this, he has pushed some boundaries with his actions, but those actions have
had minimal impact on Americans and legal alien residents.  For example, his
use of warrentless wiretaps has not resulted in a single indictment.

Where I see the problem lies is that, the claims he makes as well as his
actions could set a precedent for later Presidents to act in a manner that
attacks the liberties of Americans and legal aliens.  Since the war on
terror will probably last decades, there is a real risk of some future
president having a Hoover-like domestic spying program...using Bush's
precedent as justification. That's a real risk, and one that should be
countered.

But, given the nature and scope attack on the US on 9-11, we see a
relatively modest risk to liberty in our response...compared to the risk
posed earlier in our history towards smaller domestic risks.  Thus, I see
the claims of "an unprecedented attack on liberty" as fear mongering.  Most
Americans do not see the Republicans as a worst risk than Al Quida.  By
arguing that they are, talking about Republicans as RepubliKKKans and the
new Gestapo, leftists can whip up the faithful, but do not contribute to a
meaningful discussion.  Discussions of ensuring that the law doesn't enable
some future president to restrict American liberty may not be as stirring as
yelling Gestapo, but I think they would be much more productive.

Dan M.