--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But how does this work for N(blue) = 4?
> >
> The key point is that the natives are omniintelligent and
> know that all other natives are also omniintelligent.
>
> > The initial state is that each native has two cases:
> >
> > 1) There are three blue-dot natives, and each blue dot native sees
> > two blue dot natives.
> >
> > 2) There are four blue-dot natives, including himself, and each blue
> > dot native sees three blue dot natives.
> >
> > In this case, I don't see how the naturalist provides any additional
> > information. In the initial state, every native knows that every
other
> > native knows that there is at least one blue dot.
> >
> He does. Because of the omniintelligence hypothesis, each native
> can reason like this:
>
> (a) If there is only one blue dotted native, then, seeing that
> everybody else is red dotted, this native will commit ritual
> suicide in the first night.

Maybe I'm exhibiting my ignorance here, but if N(blue) = 4 then all the
natives *know* that there is *not* "only one blue-dotted native" before
the anthropologist even arrives.

> Induction Hypothesis:
>
> (b) Suppose that there are (N+1) blue dotted natives. Then, each
> of these natives, noticing that the other (N) blue dotted natives
> didn't commit suicide in the N-th night, will commit ritual
> suicide in the (N+1)-th night
>
> The naturalist provides information because he starts the process,
> by forcing step (a) of the induction.

If I understand this correctly, here's how the "Induction Hypothesis"
works, starting with step (a).

Let A = There is one, and only one, blue dot native.

Let B = One Native commites ritual suicide on the first night.

The induction seems to be that:

Given: If A then B.

Given: ~B

Then: ~A

*But*, if N(blue) > 2, then *every* native starts out with:

Given:  ~A

Thus, the arrival of this anthropologist can't impart any additional
information, because the first step of the induction leads to a
conclusion that the natives have already reached anyways.

Maybe it will help to lay out different cases.   It seems clear that if
a native can identify the value of N(blue), then mass suicide becomes
inevitable.

Case I

If N(blue) = 0, then every native exists in:
State 1:  Sees only red dots, but doesn't know if N(blue) = 0 or N(blue)
=1

This case obviously doesn't apply to the given example.

************************************************************************\
*

Case II

If N(blue) = 1, then:

State 1:  One native sees only red dots, but doesn't know if N(blue) = 0
or N(blue) =1

State 2:  All other natives see one blue dot, but don't know if N(blue)
= 1 or  N(blue) = 2

Moreover, in this case All Natives know that each and every Native knows
that each of them is either in State 1 or State 2.

In this case, the anthropologist imparts information to the one native
in State 1, causing the cascade.

************************************************************************\
*

Case III

If N(blue) = 2

State 2:  Two natives see one blue dot, but don't know if N(blue) = 1 or
N(blue) = 2

State 3: All other natives see two blue dots, but don't know if N(blue)
= 2 or N(blue) = 3

Moreover, in this case All Natives know that each and every Native knows
that each of them is either in State 2 or State 3.

In this case, the anthropologist doesn't impart any information to
anyone.   Everyone knows that N(blue) >= 1.    So, presuming that the
island existed in a steady state before the anthropologist's arrival,
then her arrival with the announcement that N(blue) >= 1 has no effect.

Am I just missing something here?

JDG