But, is that really obfuscation?  I think Bush et. al. has shown the
arrogance of incompetence in their planning for and their response to the
disaster.  I think that Louisiana and New Orleans' governmental responses
were consistent with my understanding of how they would do: badly. The
corruption in New Orleans and in La is a long standing, bi-partisan
tradition.  They must also bear responsibility for the problem.

Now, I cannot do much if New Orleans wants to reelect the Mayor who had a
half assed plan to evacuate the poor for a disaster he knew was coming...and
hoped it wasn't on his watch.

I think it is fair to say "a pox on all your houses" with respect to the
leadership at the city, state, and local level.  Comparing the response of
the local level to 9-11 in NYC, to Katrina, criticism of the La response
seems very justified.

What I think cannot be done is make a generalization towards what other
Republican administrations might do.  I think that, if we elect Giuliani or
McCain as president, we would see a much better run FEMA than we have now.
I'm not going to base my vote in the next Presidential election on GWB's
incompetence....I think that blind arrogant incompetence should not be
expected from these GOP front runners.  So, Bush is fair game for strong
criticism..he blew it.  But, I don't think that it should be a broad brush,
tarring all Republicans. Heck, the older President Bush would have done much
better....he did do a much better job with FEMA than his son.

Dan M.