jdiebremse wrote:

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You didn't ask what George Bush would do if he were president,
which
 would
be silly, since he is. You asked what *I* would do. I haven't been
elected, so I'd resign.

Do you really not understand that I simply don't want to play the game
of
"What would I do if I were president?"

Yes, I understand that you have absolutely no interest in being
constructive on a difficult issue like Iraq.   Rather, you are much more
comfortable just engaging in partisan criticism, without having to offer
any constructive suggestions for what an approrpriate Iraq
policy/strategy would be.....

If you'd just started with a "If the President asked you for advice about Iraq, what would you say" instead of asking a question that could, on the face of it, be taken as hypothesizing a situation that just was NOT going to happen, you might have gotten the sort of answer you were looking for the first time around.

If you ask a question that has a LITERAL meaning that you didn't intend, someone here WILL take it literally and call you on it, one way or another.

(It might be me. It might not. If I decide to take something literally, however, I will be all over it like fleas on a dog until the original poster asks the question he or she MEANT to ask, in an unambiguous manner.)

        Julia