On 11/22/06, Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> maru dubshinki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 11/20/06, Deborah Harrell wrote:

<snip>
> >  ...Also found: _Consider Philebas_
> > (?sp?), several Tony Hillerman Southwestern
> >mysteries I was looking for...

> I wonder if Consider Philebas is where Banks got his
> Consider Phlebas
> from? It's an interesting title which didn't really
> seem to be explained by the book.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consider_Phlebas>

<rolls eyes>
Hence the "(?sp?)" afterward in my post...

Actually, I think 'Philebas' sounds nicer out loud. ;)

Debbi
Borderline Snarkiness Maru

Actually, I was serious there. Reading the Wikipedia article, I see
that it's from The Wasteland.

   Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead,
   Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell
   And the profit and loss.

               A current under sea

   Picked his bones in whispers. As he rose and fell
   He passed the stages of his age and youth
   Entering the whirlpool.

               Gentile or Jew

   O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
   Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

But that only pushes the question off further: what did Eliot mean?
What did Banks mean about Eliot's meaning?

~maru
[Once Ummon asked
a letter light//
Are you a gardener>//