> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
> Behalf Of Richard Baker
> Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:30 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: "Someone Must Tell Them"

I appreciated your response, and will give it some consideration for a
longer reply.  I found one area on which we differ significantly.  It's a
future event, so I guess neither one of us will be able to falsify the
opinion of the other. :-)

> Quite how we can convince people in the regions where the failure of
> the Islamic states is most total that the things they ought to be
> emulating from the glorious past of Islamic are openness to trade,
> toleration, meritocracy, egality, respect and encouragement for
> science and scholarship and so forth, I just don't know. I think the
> admission of Turkey - former heartland of Islam's last great empire -
> into the European Union will be an important step.

Would have been an important step, certainly.  But, the way I'm reading the
actions of the European governments, it's just not going to happen.  I think
the actions of governments taken over the last year or so, the rising
violence of young Muslims within Europe and the opinion polls of young
ethnic Europeans that I've seen indicate that Turkey will not be admitted
into the EU....except maybe as a distinct distant trading partner.  The
actions of the Netherlands government concerning burkas is just the latest
example of this.

Dan M.