"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [...]

I won't belabor y'all with the usual suspects, but I'd like to note an
interesting and new one I saw recently on the SL4 mailing list:
<http://sl4.org/archive/0701/16139.html>

The germane bit is:
    "The key factor here is that ET can do a lot more in a lot
less time than us. This may lead to an interest rate of, say, 100%
per day. There is also the posthuman equivalent of discounting for
death....If you do the math, you may find that the payoff from harvesting a
sun's energy, is not high enough to justify the energy investment for
a space probe, due to the very high discounting rate."

A high-speed economy as the reason for stay-at-home aliens? Well, it's
definitely a new one on me.

--Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.