New class of cosmic explosions
Astronomers have identified a new class of stellar explosions in M85.
Provided by Caltech
M85
M85, the northernmost member of the Virgo Cluster and situated in the
constellation Coma Berenices, is the home of the new class of stellar
explosions. NOAO/AURA/NSF
May 24, 2007
Astronomers are announcing today the discovery of a new class of
stellar explosions. The finding is based on observations of a flash
seen in the Virgo cluster in a galaxy known as Messier 85.

[...]

The explosion was surprising because it was far too faint for a
supernova, in which a star literally explodes, but clearly too bright
for a nova or a thermonuclear explosion from the surface of a white
dwarf star. Arne Rau, a postdoctoral fellow working with Kulkarni,
said, "I was simply floored. In a short time we went from speculation
to a real discovery. It was an exciting moment for me."

It took astronomers nearly a century to identify two major classes of
cosmic explosions: novae and supernovae. Forty years ago gamma-ray
bursts were added to the astronomical lexicon. M85OT2006-1 solidifies
and defines a new class of cosmic explosions that the Caltech
astronomers have dubbed as Luminous Red Novae. These events have very
distinct (red) color and expand quite slowly when compared with
novae, supernovae, and gamma-ray bursts.

The galaxy in which M85OT2006-1 exploded is composed mainly of old
stars, which also indicates that the event probably arose from a
population of stars with masses very similar to that of the sun. More
than a decade ago, one other similar but poorly studied event was
observed in the Andromeda galaxy.

Full article at <http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=5580>.

-- Ronn!  :)