On Sep 30, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, jon louis mann wrote:
>
>> http://www.europastation.com/gary/pictures/
>> No one wants an unattended child anywhere near espresso, and this
>> seems to be an effective way to prevent that.
>> Julia
>>
>> wouldn't caffeine have the opposite effect on a child?
>> jon
>
> You don't know until you try, it will depend on the individual child.
>
> Same as with Benadryl.  (Never, ever drug your child on a plane with
> something you haven't tried before -- you will NOT know what the
> effect
> will be, and if it is the opposite of what you intend, you're going to
> make yourself and a number of other people rather miserable.)

Paradoxical reactions suck.

When Kevin was at Stanford, they used Chloral Hydrate to sedate him for
a test right after his surgery... While it is normally a "knock-out
drug", it was such rocket fuel for him that we afterwards insisted that
the words "NO CHLORAL HYDRATE" be written across the top of all his
paperwork. He was so wound up on it that he re-opened his stitches. He
was nearly impossible to calm down. Not the sort of thing you want with
a 2-year-old who has just had brain surgery...

Dave