> Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
> >> Julia Thompson wrote:

> >> But what about the Cat Who Went To Heaven?

> > Is this another version of the joke about "The
> Lawyer Who Went To Heaven"
> > or "The Engineer Who Went To Hell"?
>
> No, it's a book that won the Newbery Medal.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbery_Medal

I read that book in 6th grade (I'd gone through all
the horse and dog stories in the school library);
cried my eyes out.  Redemption is always possible.

Then I read Andre Norton's _Breed To Come_, and the
rest is my literary history...

By the by, this was another favorite of mine from the
Newbery List:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler
This book tells the story of Claudia Kincaid, a
precocious 12-year-old girl who feels underappreciated
by her parents. She decides to run away from home just
long enough to show her family what they would be
missing without her. Unfortunately, she doesn't enjoy
hardship or discomfort, which makes traditional
running away problematic. To solve this problem,
Claudia decides to stay at the Metropolitan Museum of
Art in New York City. She persuades her younger
brother Jamie to accompany her: he's quiet, but most
importantly, he has a secret stash of cash he's
accumulated by cheating at card games with his best
friend, Bruce...

Debbi
And Of Course King Of The Wind! Maru
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Wind