> I wrote:

> Looks like the astronauts have been lucky so far and
> in retrospect justifies the extremes of quarantine
> post-return (well, and pre-flight too) from
> missions:
<snip>

I'd meant to look up a more technical article for
those so-inclined; here is one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070924151126.htm

...Their results, published in the journal Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences, reveal a key role
for a master regulator, called Hfq, in triggering the
genetic changes that show an increase in the virulence
of Salmonella as a result of spaceflight..."We chose
to measure gene expression at the mRNA level since the
technique to do this, called microarray analysis, is a
highly advanced and convenient way to quantitatively
measure the expression of every gene in a single
experiment," said Wilson, who coordinated the team's
molecular profiling efforts for the Nickerson lab, and
played a central role in the performance of these
experiments, including data analysis. "It is a very
powerful technique that was very applicable to the
spaceflight experiment. The isolation of mRNA poses
particular challenges since it is very sensitive to
degradation, but we designed the experiment using a
fixative that preserved the mRNA very well."
...The study discovered that an important regulatory
protein, Hfq, may be a key molecule responsible for
the increased virulence due to space flight. "Hfq is a
protein that binds to and regulates a number of
regulatory RNAs, which in turn, control gene
expression," said Nickerson. "Our studies suggest that
there may be a role for these regulatory RNAs in the
cellular response to the physical and mechanical
forces found in spaceflight, which are relevant to
conditions that cells encounter here on Earth during
the normal course of their lifecycles."

These results have important implications for human
health since Salmonella (and other gut-related
bacterial pathogens) are a leading cause of food-borne
illness and infectious disease, especially in the
developing world. Nickerson's group further highlights
Hfq as a potential therapeutic target, since no
vaccine currently exists for Salmonella food-borne
infections in humans. In addition, the space flight
studies may shed new light on why Salmonella has
become increasingly resistant to antibiotic
treatment...

This one adds some interesting info too:

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/home/53627/
...Some research has indicated that Hfq expression
should increase with increasing virulence, making the
decrease in Hfq "particularly puzzling," according to
Lionello Bossi of the National Center of Scientific
Research in France, who was not a co-author. But other
work has shown that bacterial virulence can sometimes
increase when classic virulence genes are
down-regulated, Nickerson said. "This suggests
exciting new insight in terms of how these pathogens
are causing disease in our body."

It's thought that the space between microvilli
protrusions on intestinal cells creates a free-fall
environment much like that encountered in outer space,
explained co-author Kerstin Höner zu Bentrup of Tulane
University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans. "We
can actually mimic now what's going on in an
environment that Salmonella sees in your gut shortly
before it infects the cells."

According to Laura Frost of the University of Alberta
in Canada, who was not involved in the study,
activation of Hfq-controlled genes is good evidence
that stress responses are activated in bacteria grown
in space. "The interesting thing about this experiment
is that low gravity appears to be a stress that the
bacteria can detect."

The authors also found that flight samples showed
evidence of increased biofilm formation, which could
help explain their increased virulence, said Höner zu
Bentrup. "Biofilm formation is a major player in
virulence," largely because bacteria aggregated in
biofilms are less susceptible to host defense
mechanisms, she told The Scientist...

There's a list of lots more articles at the end of
that, as well as a disagreement from a PhD about the
conclusion.

It makes sense to me that gene expression could change
under zero-gee, as adaptation (of behavior, of growth
requirements, eventually by gene-selectio) is pretty
much what all living things must do when their
environmnet changes.

Debbi
Worms In Space Maru