On 7 Oct 2007, at 20:53, Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro wrote:

> Dave Land wrote:
>>
>> Of course, this worm depends on the idiocy of people who open
>> attachments in emails from people they don't know.
>>
>> Those people should have their computers confiscated, the hard drives
>> erased and Linux installed to be given to people who are worthy of
>> them.
>
> I thought so some time ago. After using Linux for about 7 years,
> and knowing
> its vulnerabilities, I am glad that Linux is still a minority OS,
> such that
> evil virusmakers don't bother to attack Linux.

They do attack Linux servers because pwning a server is more valuable
than a desktop machine. There are enormous numbers of attacks on
servers attempting to use vulnerabilities in misconfigured systems as
anyone who runs a server and looks at the logfiles can attest. Here's
a few bad requests from the logs of a (BSD hosted) website I run.

/phpmyadmin/main.php

/pma/main.php

/admin/main.php

/admin/phpmyadmin/main.php

/mysql/main.php

/horde/readme

/myadmin/main.php

/phpmyadmin2/main.php

/admin/phpmyadmin2/main.php

/phpmychat/chat/messagesl.php3

/mysqladmin/main.php

/webadmin/main.php

/admin/myadmin/main.php

/phpmyadmin-2.6.3-rc1/main.php

/admin/sqladmin/main.php

/scgi-bin/awstats/awstats.pl

/admin/db/main.php

/admin/php-my-admin/main.php

/php-my-admin/main.php

/admin/mysql/main.php

/websql/main.php

/admin/phpmyadmin-2.6.3-pl1/main.php

/admin/phpmyadmin-2.2.6/main.php

/phpmyadmin-2.6.3-pl1/main.php

/phpmyadmin-2.2.6/main.php

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence
whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the
silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more
likely to be foolish than sensible."
- Bertrand Russell