"Sanctimonious"?  How much of a "snarl-up" is "asking for trouble"?

i agree that the phrase "asking for trouble", is a bad choice of words
and can mean anything from provoking an attack to some aggressive, high
dominant, alpha male or even bi-polar driver may run you over, or
he/she is on the phone, changing the cd, and any number of possible
scenarios, especially if traffic is snarled, whether or no you are the
cause.

there may be situations when cyclists were deliberately slowing
traffic, and there are circumstances when a pack of cyclists are
pumping along in high gear, passing each other, and generally having a
great time.  there are poor people whose only form of transportation
are bikes and buses.  there are many kinds of cyclists including
lollygagging, idiots who may even be unaware they are slowing down
traffic.  i certainly don't consider them all to be idiots, anymore
that all drivers are idiots.  nor was i suggesting that they deserve to
be hit.

there are laws that penalize cyclists, but that doesn't stop them any
more speeding tickets deter drivers.

i have commuted by bicycle and motorcycle, and  never had a serious
accident.  i spent several months peddling throughout new zealand in
1989.   i have been able to avoid many potential accidents due to my
lightening reflexes.~)  once when a driver doored me, i was cushioned
by his large bulk and the damage to my bike was minor.  the porcine
driver was angry at me for hitting him!~)
jon