At 12:36 PM Saturday 11/24/2007, Dave Land wrote:
>Folks,
>
>      "Incredible as it seems, our detection of the dark energy may have
>       reduced the life-expectancy of the universe."
>                                                -- Prof. Lawrence Krauss
>
>Interesting story found via Slashdot: According to quantum theory, at  least
>as it is posited by Lawrence Krauss of Case Western Reserve University and
>James Dent of Vanderbilt University, our observations of dark matter may be
>hastening the end of the universe itself.
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/displayPrintable.jhtml;jsessionid=XX5AITXK4HD0TQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/earth/2007/11/21/scicosmos121.xml&site=30&page=0
>or
>      http://tinyurl.com/2whm5n
>
>The physicists among us may have more to say about this. I look forward to
>their contributions, debunkage, etc.

Anyone else reminded of Douglas Adams?

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
inexplicable. There is another which states that this has already happened."

>Dave "Take a picture, it'll last longer" Land

Of course, if the conjecture in the article is correct that will only
work as long as no entity with a conscious mind looks at the picture,
which would be the same as making the observation in any other manner . . .

Maybe Ignorance Is Bliss After All Maru

-- Ronn!  :)