But in a caste system such as India has, you also had downward mobility. A
person could lose caste in various ways and sink downwards, especially as
conditions were so crowded and harsh the very lowest of castes would probably
not have reproduced themselves.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

"Now is the winter of our discontent...."