On 1/9/2008 7:40:25 PM, Warren Ockrassa ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
> > An interesting little article about what you are doing when you
> > are
> > doing nothing.
> >
> > http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1580364,00.html
>
> This isn't Zen, actually,

Of course not.<G> But I think it is an apt description of what people
tend to ^think^ they are doing during idle-minded moments.

>which really *is* about doing nothing, and
> the "time travel" aspect of the brain is actually extremely
> well-known
> to Buddhist meditators. The idling mind is seen in Buddhist
> psychology
> to be absolutely packed full of discursive thought, virtually all of
> which is concerned either with reliving the past or anticipating the
> future.

My understanding, introspective and otherwise, is that human brains
model one's experiences and potential outcomes pretty much constantly.
The only time I seem to drop out of this mode is when I have to focus
on something immediate such as a conversation.Even when I am working I
seem to be modeling what I am working on and only stop to perform
individual tasks.

xponent
Modeler Maru
rob