G. D. Akin wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of Gotham Writers'
> Workshop? How about any other on-line workshops?

I've been amici (inactive lurker) with Critters Workshop
(http://www.critters.org/) for a while and was semi-active for a few
months.  It's focused around weekly critiques of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and
Horror writers and has a good mix of true amateurs and some pros (lots
of prose, too, obviously).  I felt it to be a very nice, well organized
community.  I keep meaning to return to it, but I always seem to worry
about the time commitment.  It's really not that bad of a time
commitment if you plan ahead for it.  Critters allows everyone that is a
member in good standing (active) to submit a single manuscript at a time
(in an egalitarian first in, first out queue, with an exception for
bonafide SFWA and HWA members).  The qualification to remain active is
to submit 1 critique on someone else's manuscript every week for at
least 3 out of every 4 weeks (75%).  It's run entirely volunteer, which
I think its not-for-profit status is a nice touch (no upsells to classes
or ads or lopsided publishing deals).  I certainly would recommend
checking it out.

Critters pushes the importance of the critique over being critiqued and
its possible to be an active Critters member and never submit a
manuscript of your own, solely for the experience of critiquing, that
art of crafting polite and insightful yet relevantly constructive criticism.

Hope that helps,
--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/