----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: New Anonymous Vid

> Robe  wrote:
>

>> I'm not looking at exit polls myself,
>

> Looks good for a McCain/Huckster ticket.
>

>> I think the actual election
>> results are showing a change in the wind.
>

> I'm normally an optimist, but the deck is stacked against
> progressives.  We
> all know about Rove and the Swiftboaters.  They are masterful at
> exploiting
> fear and doubt.  Corporate America is overwhelmingly Republican and
> that
> their pocket's are deep.  And the press is not only not liberal,
> they're
> mostly either conservative or willfully ignorant.
>
> McCain showed a bit of his future strategy recently; he stressed the
> idea
> that if we leave Iraq we would be losers. He'll repeatedly use the
> words
> loose and losers when referring to the withdrawal plans of his
> opponent.
> Along with the reported success of the surge and under reporting on
> the part
> of the press, the war won't be the issue it should be.  The economy
> might be
> an issue, but here McCain will emphasize his status as an outsider
> and will
> escape most of the blame.  Hell he'll even be able to tell us that
> Anne
> Coulter and Rush Limbaugh hate him. He'll suck in the lions share of
> independent voters.
>
> There are lots of other factors; older people vote in larger numbers
> and are
> not only more conservative they're more susceptible to the Bradly
> effect.
> Although Obama would mobilize younger voters like never before, they
> still
> won't vote in the numbers necessary to make a difference.  If he's
> the
> nominee then we have the Bradly effect, and if he isn't we'll have
> Hillary's
> huge negatives to deal with.
>
> And remember, the war is
>> still an issue and that is enough that it can sink McCain if he
>> doesn't change his attitude. Even conservatives are tired of this
>> crap.
>

> I don't think so.  I think conservatives still want to win the war
> and see
> the surge as a huge success.  They will play on our dislike for
> losing and
> our fear of terrorism.  They think we need a strong military
> presence in the
> Middle East, and they think that the strength of our country is due
> mostly
> to the strength of our military and that losing in Iraq would
> undermine our
> strength and our reputation.
>
> Do you remember about this time four years ago when JDG expressed
> his
> [...]

Heh!
It's funny.....we are thinking about a lot of the same things and
weighing them for consideration. Your concerns mirror mine quite
closely. But I think you have to factor in how disheartened many
conservatives are these days and it is getting worse for them. Only
2/3 as many Conservatives are voting in the primaries as are Liberals.

I think a lot of Independents like Obama. A good sign.

But consider a Republican win in November. McCain and Romney doesn't
bother me too much as long as the Dems control Congress. McCain and
Huckabee is bothersome in the extreme as I have an extreme dislike for
Huckabees beliefs.

The only one I actively dislike is Huckabee.

xponent
Constitutional Amendment Maru
rob