> Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro wrote:
> > Deborah Harrell wrote:

<snip> The possible link between crime
> > and lead levels is intriguing; articles on lead's
> > harmful effects particularly WRT children have
> > been posted previously...

> I am curious about this (lead tetraethyl) - crime
> link. Brazil
> was one of the first countries to ban lead (because
> of ethanol,
> whose octane rating is high), and we don't have nice
> numbers on crime.

It was a paragraph from the posted article I was
commenting on - I didn't actually do any digging
myself.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=932
"...The specific harms done by environmental lead are
difficult to quantify. It is known that children are
much more apt to absorb the neurotoxic metal than
adults, and it is suspected to have stricken many
children with behavior problems, learning
difficulties, hyperactivity, and breathing
complications. Even more troubling, a number of recent
studies have shown a strong correlation between
atmospheric lead levels and crime rates. A study
published in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental
Research, which used data spanning more than fifty
years, reported a "very strong association" between
the exposure of young children to lead, and crime
rates twenty years later when they became young
adults. This correlation holds true for a wide variety
of locales, social conditions, and models of
government. The sharp decline in US crime rates which
began in the early 1990s dovetails perfectly with the
reduction of leaded gasoline in the early 1970s; and
other countries which followed suit saw similar
declines, also delayed by twenty years. It seems that
the lawmakers who claim credit for crime-reducing
legislation during that time are probably misplacing
their congratulations. In another study, Pittsburgh
University researchers found that juvenile delinquents
had lead levels four times higher on average than
law-abiding adolescents..."

There have been several studies that show decreased IQ
with even very low levels of lead in children; IIRC it
was in the 2-4ug/dl range, with the grosser effects of
lead poisoning manifesting at greater than ~40ug/dl.

This is the Medline for laypersons page:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002473.htm
...Over time, even low levels of lead exposure can
harm a child's mental development. The possible health
problems get worse as the level of lead in the blood
gets higher. Possible complications include:

Reduced IQ
Slowed body growth
Hearing problems
Behavior or attention problems
Failure at school
Kidney damage

A more detailed article from the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lead-poisoning/FL00068
...Lead levels in the blood are measured in micrograms
per deciliter (mcg/dL). An unsafe level is 10 mcg/dL
or higher — a guideline set by the CDC.

This was set in 1991; the articles I cited some years
ago about subtle effects at very low levels were from
the late nineties to early 21st, IIRC.

http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1993/5/93.05.06.x.html#r
[Has the 1991 CDC guidelines in addition to even more
detail on lead poisoning and prevention.]

I'm short on time today, but if you like I will see
what PubMed has on crime/lead exposure, if anything.

Debbi
Colonel Mustard In The Library With The Lead Pipe Maru