On 18/04/2008, at 7:16 AM, hkhenson wrote:
> At 12:00 PM 4/17/2008, Dan M wrote:
>
>> Nothing works 100% of the time, but lets assume a 95% efficiency,
>> or running
>> 8322 hours/year.  The cost is, then, about $39 per kWh.
>
> If you do it this way, the cost the next year is zero.  That's not
> good accounting.  These things should run for decades.  If you wrote
> it off in 10 years, it would be $3.90 a kWh.

Ah yes. I totally missed that part of Dan's calculation, despite the
fact I used precisely the correct calculation in my own roof-top solar
calculation - I blame my flu. Fucking schoolboy error.

So - assuming a yearly running cost at 10% of start-up, that's still
about 5 bucks a kwh. So comparable to rooftop solar, but with
massively more startup cost.

Hmmm. So why's it better?

C.