Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
> (So, for Max and others who have had such
> experiences, do you think that Yahoo! will
> improve if/when Micro$oft finally gets hold of
> them?  Or is this one of those rhetorical-type
> questions which also qualifies as a stupid question?  :P)

It's a fair question but I don't know an easy answer.  But I get a kick
out of playing armchair economist, so excuse me if I ramble a little
about it...

There are the many pessimists that shout to the rooftops that Microsoft
would immediately gut Yahoo, but that doesn't happen in the real
world...  There's usually a transition period and generally the idea is
to maximize profits by minimizing losses (obvious tautology I know, but
one that seems easy to forget) and you don't money by taking the entity
you just bought and telling some its most valuable assets to go home and
shutting down what pathways it has in place to generate money.

I have a suspicion that a Yahoo taken over by Microsoft is more likely
to look like today's Yahoo than a Yahoo that attempts to remain the same
and battle it out as they are now.  I think that Yahoo is near something
of an "innovate or die" cusp, and the way the market looks today the
easiest the thing to do is fail and die.  The internet is an extremely
harsh world to compete in...  particularly when you are dependent on ad
revenue.

The easiest comparisons that I can make is with Hotmail, which is one of
Microsoft's groups in the Bay Area and so "geographical sibling" to
Yahoo should Yahoo be acquired by Microsoft.  It seems to me that
Hotmail has seen steady improvement since Microsoft bought it, even as
it has been mostly re-branded to "Live Mail" in the last few years (for
greater overall 'brand meshing')...  You might argue that Hotmail moved
from the innovator's hot seat to the backseat over the years, but I
think that is something that may have happened anyway (the internet's
winds of innovation change fast and often).

> [Primarily in response to Max:]  That of course
> ass/u/mes that Jon is a programmer rather than a
> turnkey end-user, and from his questions in this
> thread it is obvious that he is much closer to the latter than the former.

I realized that.  I mentioned the "hard solutions" only as potential
impetus for some kindly soul that reads this list to maybe convert a
hard solution into an easy one...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/