On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Both McCain and Obama were born outside of the continental USA
> (Panama and Hawaii, respectively). I don't know too much about
> USA history, but was there any POTUS that was not born in the
> continental USA?
>
> Maybe the next one will be born even outsider (like Austria...)
>
> Alberto Monteiro

technically, the first seven Presidents were born in what was at the time,
colonies of the British Empire. the first President to be born after the US
became an independent country was Martin Van Buren.
John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone to a serving US Navy officer
and is considered a natural born citizen. Barack Obama was born in Hawaii
after it became a state. until the Constitution is changed to permit
naturalized citizens to become President, no one born in Austria will be
elected President.

john