>  They whine because they can't prove the Chinese
> gymnasts lied about their
> > age.  Who cares what age they are; that is an
> arbitrary rule that should be
> > eliminated.
>  Jon

> I could be wrong, but doesn't the rule have something
> to do with the adverse
> effect of the extreme amount of stress on a young,
> developing body?  If the
> rule was arbitrary, why don't they have it for other
> sports?   In any case,
> who are the Chinese (or any one else) to decide that the
> rules are OK to
> break if they think that they are arbitrary?
> Also, I could be wrong but I seem to remember that when you
> and I were
> younger Jon, the U.S. got fewer medals in the Olympics than
> both the Soviets
> _and_ the East Germans, so I'm not sure how we're
> going down by getting the
> second most Gold medals.
> By the way, I thought the Olympics were great and I watched
> as much as I had
> time for.  The Chinese did a great job.
> Doug

i stand corrected on the reason for the rule.   furthermore i would advocate
that all dangerous competitions involving children be eliminated altogether.

it is not a new phenomenon for america to lose in the olympics.  what i meant
when i said america was going down is that we are losing our dominance on the
world stage.  china is on the way up.  russia is also recovering and starting
to challenge us in europe, again.

also, the chinese are not the only olympic athletes to cheat, they just aren't
imprisoned when caught.
jon