> The "solution" to Pearl Harbor was
> straightforward. The "solution" to
> the environment is not. I don't see how some
> politicians, who have spent
> precious little time studying either the environment or
> economics, will be
> capable of solving the "problem". Simply deciding
> to go to war on the
> environment will not help, and on balance, will probably
> cause harm.

it can be said that the human race has been at war with the environment since
the agricultural revolution, but it only started to become a serious problem in
the last century.  it will become much, much worse in this century.  some
estimates are that we will reach critical mass in four more years, and then the
problem will correct itself...
jon