I stand corrected by your detailed knowledge of that history, Richard.  I
will accept that my quick recollection of history was all too facile, and I
honestly appreciate your history lesson.  I'm snipping it, because I do
think it is an aside to the main thrust of my argument.  But, if you find
historical errors in what I am about to say, do not hesitate to shout out.

Empires can last a long time.  They do reformulate, different dynasties do
exist. But, I think it is fair to say that regimes that do not place a great
deal of value on individual human rights can last centuries, and when they
are replaced it is often/usually not be a group that emphasized human
rights.

You also rightly said that these empires were not totalitarian.  I agree,
and never intended to imply that.  Indeed, I used the example of restraints
on the French King that did not apply to Napoleon because I had some
awareness of that fact.

Totalitarian governments are fairly modern.  The tools needed for them
probably didn't exist 300 years ago.  My argument is that they have proven
to be fairly resilient, falling only when faced with strong outside
challenges.

Indeed, the requirement for such challenges was planned as part of the final
post I was going to write in the series I started a bit ago.  In a sense,
I've been building up to that point.  But, that's for later.

Dan M.