I understood.  It is true that I cannot prove my assertions beyond a shadow
of a doubt, just as one cannot prove global warming and the rise of CO2
levels are not just coincidence.  But, I will make a

> There are
> dozens of important variables that could be relevant, and you have only a
> few years of data points during FDR. Are you seriously suggesting that you
> can  prove that 1 or 2 variables are responsible for the majority of
> the change in GDP over a period of a few years? If you can achieve
> that, you surely missed your calling as an economist.

There is nothing new in what I'm writing.  I've seen these arguments from
well respected economists.  It's true that economists tend to overstate
their understanding.  But, I have much less ambitious goals.  It is
theoretically possible that small causes are the real source of big effects,
but it is very reasonable to look at big causes for big effects.

Your statement about monetary policy places you in opposition to just about
everything I've read by or heard from economists.  It could be blind luck
that increasing the supply of money increases GDP, and can cause inflation
if and only if the increase in money exceeds the increase in goods and
services.

Me, I believe that something between the understanding of fiscal economists,
and monetary economists is closest to the best model.  I agree that a great
deal of humility is needed by these folks, because things like the "rule of
7" are not valid, nor is the idea that monetary policy alone can handle
inflation.  But, there are enough data, including the timing of the changes
in the economy after changes in Fed. policy that matches expectations
repeatedly to come up with a reasonable phenomenology.

Your view, on the other hand leads to predictions that counter data.  Yes,
there could be a wealth of unseen effects, etc.  But, allowed that type of
latitude, I could claim just about anything.

Now, for the first order data: government intake, output, inflation and GDP
growth since 1929 (1930 is listed first because it reflects growth/shrinkage
from '29 to '30.

        fed   fed                real GDP
        recp    expen inflate growth
1930    4.2%    3.4%    -3.7%    -8.6%
1931    3.7%    4.3%    -10.4% -6.4%
1932    2.8%    6.9%    -11.7% -13.0%
1933    3.5%    8.0%    -2.7%    -1.4%
1934    4.8%    10.7%   5.6%     10.8%
1935    5.2%    9.2%    1.9%     9.0%
1936    5.0%    10.5%   1.1%     12.9%
1937    6.1%    8.6%    4.3%     5.3%
1938    7.6%    7.7%    -2.9%    -3.5%
1939    7.1%    10.3%   -1.2%    8.1%
1940    6.8%    9.8%    1.4%     8.5%
1941    7.6%    12.0%   6.8%     17.1%
1942    10.1%   24.3%   7.9%     18.4%
1943    13.3%   43.6%   5.3%     16.4%
1944    20.9%   43.6%   2.3%     8.2%
1945    20.4%   41.9%   2.7%     -1.2%
1946    17.6%   24.8%   12.1%    -11.1%
1947    16.5%   14.8%   10.7%    -0.7%
1948    16.2%   11.6%   5.7%     4.3%
1949    14.5%   14.3%   -0.1%    -0.6%
1950    14.4%   15.6%   1.1%     8.7%
1951    16.1%   14.2%   7.2%     7.6%
1952    19.0%   19.4%   1.6%     4.0%
1953    18.7%   20.4%   1.3%     4.6%
1954    18.5%   18.8%   1.0%     -0.7%
1955    16.6%   17.3%   1.7%     7.1%
1956    17.5%   16.5%   3.4%     2.0%
1957    17.8%   17.0%   3.3%     2.0%
1958    17.3%   17.9%   2.4%     -1.0%
1959    16.1%   18.7%   1.1%     7.2%
1960    17.9%   17.8%   1.4%     2.5%
1961    17.8%   18.4%   1.1%     2.3%
1962    17.6%   18.8%   1.4%     6.0%
1963    17.8%   18.6%   1.1%     4.3%
1964    17.6%   18.5%   1.5%     5.8%
1965    17.0%   17.2%   1.9%     6.4%
1966    17.4%   17.9%   2.9%     6.6%
1967    18.3%   19.4%   3.1%     2.5%
1968    17.7%   20.6%   4.3%     4.8%
1969    19.7%   19.4%   4.9%     3.0%
1970    19.0%   19.3%   5.3%     0.2%
1971    17.3%   19.5%   5.0%     3.3%
1972    17.6%   19.6%   4.2%     5.4%
1973    17.7%   18.8%   5.6%     5.8%
1974    18.3%   18.7%   9.0%     -0.6%
1975    17.9%   21.3%   9.3%     -0.4%
1976    17.2%   21.4%   5.7%     5.6%
1977    18.0%   20.7%   6.4%     4.6%
1978    18.0%   20.7%   7.1%     5.5%
1979    18.5%   20.2%   8.3%     3.2%
1980    19.0%   21.7%   9.2%     -0.2%
1981    19.6%   22.2%   9.3%     2.5%
1982    19.1%   23.1%   6.2%     -2.0%
1983    17.5%   23.5%   4.0%     4.3%
1984    17.4%   22.2%   3.7%     7.3%
1985    17.7%   22.9%   3.2%     3.8%
1986    17.4%   22.4%   2.2%     3.4%
1987    18.4%   21.6%   3.0%     3.4%
1988    18.2%   21.3%   3.4%     4.2%
1989    18.4%   21.2%   3.8%     3.5%
1990    18.0%   21.8%   3.9%     1.8%
1991    17.8%   22.3%   3.6%     -0.5%
1992    17.5%   22.1%   2.4%     3.0%
1993    17.6%   21.4%   2.4%     2.7%
1994    18.1%   21.0%   2.1%     4.0%
1995    18.5%   20.7%   2.2%     2.7%
1996    18.9%   20.3%   1.9%     3.6%
1997    19.3%   19.6%   1.9%     4.4%
1998    20.0%   19.2%   1.2%     4.3%
1999    20.0%   18.7%   1.4%     4.1%
2000    20.9%   18.4%   2.3%     4.1%
2001    19.8%   18.5%   2.4%     -0.5%
2002    17.9%   19.4%   1.9%     1.2%
2003    16.5%   20.0%   2.0%     2.1%
2004    16.3%   19.9%   2.6%     3.7%
2005    17.6%   20.2%   3.2%     3.1%
2006    18.4%   20.3%   3.3%     2.9%
2007    18.5%   20.2%   2.7%     2.3%

There are a few things to note.  First, Keynesian theory predicted that
deficit spending by the government was the only way to counter a
deflationary depression.  Look at the size of the deficits from '33 to '37.
Look at the growth in the economy during that time.  In '38 FDR was worried
about the Federal deficit, and balanced the budget.  The economy failed that
year.

It is true that other countries, Japan and much of Europe, led the US in
government spending to end the Great Depression, and that the US recovery
responded to the massive demand for US goods by strong economic growth
starting in '39.  If this is what you refer to, I accept that....but note
that it was still consistent with Keynesian theory.

Also, one would note that FDR did a lot to restore trust in banking in the
first 100 days, which had a psychological effect...with people trusting
banks more after the bank holiday than before.  It is theoretically possible
that this is coincidence, but unlikely.

Also note, that the largest rise in GDP coincided with the largest
government outlay...mostly on "wasteful" spending.  Well, at least from
economic terms, tanks and air craft carriers are not useful economic
capital.

This was all accomplished without massive inflation, which you're theory
predicts.  It's true that there were wage and price controls during the war,
but they were taken off after the war, and the total inflation and economic
growth from say '40 to '50 was significant.

Fast forward to the late '70s and '80s.  Monetary theory says that the Fed's
tightening of the monetary supply caused both the big recession of '82 and
the lowering of inflation.  Your theory would argue that the increase in
wasteful government spending in the '80s would increase inflation.

Now, let's go to the '90s.  We know that federal deficits tend to be
inflationary, and Greenspan worried about this.  He also worried about
loosening credit, until Clinton convinced him that the rise in productivity
would result in total goods and services rising to match the increase in the
supply of money.  If money increases no faster than goods and services,
there is no inflation.  If it rises faster, there is inflation.  If it rises
slower, there is deflation.  (you have to include velocity too). This is
real standard stuff...remember I'm related to an economist. :-)

So, it is true that I didn't chase down every rabbit hole.  But, in
engineering, big causes correlating with big effects is a darned good bet.
Your theory needs unseen small causes with big effects that coincidently
coincide with data to explain your inconsistency.  But, given that, I can
prove nearly any theory right.

Dan M.