1. Something definitely happened, but I doubt anyone knows exactly what,
as yet.

2. It is almost certainly not as dire as Paulson and Bernanke are trying
to make it sound. The world won't come to an end if we take the time to
think things through.

3. Anyone who trusts what this administration says about this, or about
any issue facing this country, is probably clinically insane.

4. Financial markets are not like other markets. Don't apply nostrums
that seem to work in the corn flakes market and think they will work the
same in a financial market.

5. People who have never read Adam Smith are probably not qualified to
discuss what he said. And almost nobody has ever read Adam Smith. Even
most economists have never gotten around to it.

6. Most people who have never studied physics would be unlikely to
pontificate on the subject. Most people who have never studied economics
not only will pontificate on the subject, but will explain to you in
terms that suggest you are an idiot, why they are right and you are
wrong. That they are unqualified will never occur to them.

7. Financial crises occur with a certain rhythm. This revolves around
the time it takes for people to forget the lessons of the last crisis
and develop the conceit that they are smarter than their forebears. John
Kenneth Galbraith, who wrote a classic work on the 1929 crash, lays this
out very clearly. Beginning in the late-1970s we have systematically
eliminated all the constraints put in place in the 1930s to prevent
another Great Depression from occurring. Each major deregulation was
followed by a systemic crisis. The Depository Institution Deregulation
and Monetary Control Act of 1980, and Garn-St. Germain in 1982 led
inevitably to the S&L crisis (McCain and the Bushes were part of that
one too!). Gramm-Leach-Bliley (1999) led to this one. The long gap
without major crises between the Great Depression and the S&L crisis is
explained by the fact that the Great Depression was so severe that it
was difficult to get politicians to forget the lessons learned and open
the door to new abuses until a lot of time had gone by. Then the S&L
problem occurred, but in the final analysis was not severe enough to
restrain people for very long. What you should look for in this crisis
is whether anyone draws the lesson that laws like Glass-Steagal worked
very well for a long time, and should probably be re-instituted. I doubt
that will happen, because the Republican Party has become our native
criminal class, and the Democratic Party are such pussies that they
haven't yet even mentioned the Keating Five. So you should prepare for a
fix that papers things over for perhaps 5-7 years, followed by something
even worse.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Linux User #333216

"God made an idiot for practice. Then He made a school board." -- Mark
Twain