Bryon Daly wrote:
> I was planning on buying Spore, but the "only 3 installations for a
> game you
> purchased" deal is where I've drawn my line in the DRM sand.  It's a
> real
> shame becase Electronic Arts seems to have decided all their new games
> will
> have this anti-feature, and they have a number of games I'm interested
> in
> coming out.  The need to research the DRM situation for every game I
> buy
> is sadly killing what interest remains for my gaming hobby.

I've heard that they have updated the limitation to 5 installs and added an
ability to delist a (dead, old, whatever) system to regain an install.
Supposedly EA has been listening and responding to the complaints.

I'm not that interested in Spore as a game, but may pick it up when the
price drops or if it winds up on GameTap or Steam.

I've delegated my DRM concerns to digital distribution networks and my
consoles at this point.  I've been buying much fewer games in retail, partly
due to a loss of confidence in what amounts for games retailers, and what I
do buy retail is generally (360, Wii) console discs.  I've been a GameTap
member for a while and I've been a Steam member for far longer.  I'm on the
mailing list for Greenhouse, which is slowly and carefully building a
catalog, and I'm keeping an eye out for interesting content to come to
Stardock's Impulse, and debating moving my CD key of Sins of a Solar Empire
to an Impulse account.  GOG.com looks interesting and I'm waiting on an
invite.

I believe that all of the above services have better DRM and DRM policies
than SecuRom and other DRM du jour products used in individual games and
often nowadays the same games with weird on disc DRM can be found in a
digital distribution network with better DRM.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net