On 10/11/2008 2:31:23 PM, Max Battcher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hey Rob, there seem to be a number of people promoting the transition of
> talented Japanese rock into at least the American "slipstream" (?), the
> not-quite-mainstream, but diverse and open crowds.  I haven't checked out
> which bands you linked to in your YouTube collection, yet.
>
> However, I did have the opportunity a few months back to see Mono a
> Japanese
> "post-rock" band with a wonderful love of the slow-build and loud/quiet
> dynamic in a layered string-oriented rock band.  (They were one of the
> bands
> that drew to me to the event in the first place as I had read about them
> on
> the internet just prior to the event (Terrastock 7).)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_%28Japanese_band%29
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrastock

A good bit of this movement is due to the Japanese adeptness at using
popular music for theme songs in Anime and other TV programs. That was my
gateway into Japanese music. Many of the tunes I linked were ones I
originally saw in Anime programs.
One of the things that clued me into the popularity of the music was the
sheer number of covers and "how to play" videos on YouTube.
A good example of this is "Rising Fighting Spirit" from the Naruto OST.
>From the OST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8fReXz0pQ

And a "how to":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNvtkyMjpbI