At 11:05 AM Friday 10/31/2008, John Williams wrote:
>Lance A. Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> > John Williams wrote:
> > > there will be decisions made by people, and people do make mistakes.
>
> > You are assuming everyone is a rational actor.
>
>By no means is everyone a rational actor. People make mistakes, act
>emotionally instead of rationally, and generally tend to screw things up.
>Politicians especially.
>
> > You argue that diverse decentralized systems work better because
> > mistakes are uncorrelated and failures are localized.
>
>This is too strong, sorry if I overstated. Mistakes are less correlated
>and failures are more localized, relative to government control which
>tends to create strong, long-range correlations.
>
> > Instead, we are faced with actors who will collude with each other to
> > manipulate markets, subvert systems, and for the short term gain without
> > regard to long-term consequences.
>
>Definitely. Such actors exist in government, as well. In fact, they dominate
>government.

Which is a big reason why some (including some who do not get health
insurance through their employers and cannot afford to purchase it
themselves) are so leery of putting the government in charge (either
directly or indirectly by holding the purse strings) of anything as
important as medical care.

. . . ronn!  :)