I thought that was the case, but thanks for the clarification.

> Cyprus was full of them working bar, waiting, or worse being exploited
> in strip clubs. (It wasn't like London where an attractive woman could
> make good money doing "exotic dancing" a couple of times a week -
> these girls were often being forced to have sex with customers).

Well, as you know, that's particularly repugnant to me, both as the husband
of an abuse victim (who later specialized in social work in working with
victims) and as the father of daughters.  I have heard about this sort of
thing with uneducated poor Eastern European women, but not about it
happening to the well educated.  It's not that the evilness of this forcing
is less if a woman is undereducated, but this strikes me as countering the
proposal that education is the ticket out of poverty and exploitation.

One question comes up, and you may or may not be able to answer it.  Were
the professionals allowed to work menial jobs but not professional jobs just
because of local laws, customs, prejudices, etc., or do you think that the
education system in Russia has fallen to the point where, for example, you'd
never want to have a Russian surgeon operating on you?

Dan M.