As I understand it, it's not that it carries odors better, it's that
your nose is more sensitive to odors carried in moist air.

(Mentioning this because I do at one point remember a gas
chromatograph attachment with a nose shield connected directly to the
column outlet, with a fan to circulate air slowly through it and a
humidifier.  Apparently the human nose is *the* most sensitive
detector for certain chemicals like mercaptans, which can be detected
in concentrations of single digit parts per billion .. but the
sensitivity is very dependent on humidity.)

No, Cowfield is not an odor one easily forgets.  Although I've at
times been able to smell the difference between healthy and not so
healthy soil in freshly plowed fields, and *known* the healthy soil
was healthy.  That, and about a dozen or so industrial chemicals, were
in my "odor library" for quite a while after the lab instrument job.  :D