On Jan 5, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Dan M wrote:

>> The few
>> productive industries we have in the USA now (the auto industry
>> springing immediately to mind) are in such sad shape -- in the auto
>> industry's case, from putting more energy into fighting a phase c
>> hange into a PHEV/BEV based market than they are into any real R&D or
>> new product development -- that they cost more than they generate in
>> value.  To me, that seems unsustainable.  Am I missing something
>> here?
>
> They don't have to put any energy into fighting it; the consumers are
> happily doing it for them.  The sale of the hybrid Prias (sp) has
> fallen
> about 50%.  Electric cars are toys for the rich.  Battery technology
> has not
> improved much in the last 20 years, even though there is a multi-
> billion
> battery market where one can make a handy profit right now, outside
> of the
> car market, by marketing a better battery.

Battery technology has matured to the point where it's definitely
possible to build a NiMH powered car with at least 140 mile range.  If
it weren't, it probably would be only academic that Cobasys/Ovonics
holds patents to large format NiMH batteries that it refuses to
license for automotive use, primarily because it's a wholly owned
subsidiary of Chevron.

Toyota lost the patent lawsuit over the EV-95 battery used in the RAV4-
EV, which is one major reason why it never made it to production, and
the only reason RAV4-EV's are still on the road is that their leases
weren't as airtight with the no-buyout language as those for the EV1,
which GM reposessed en masse and sent to the crusher the moment the
California ZEV mandate was effectively nullified.

The demand is there, make no mistake about it.  As soon as a 100-mile-
range battery powered car is available, there are plenty of people who
would much rather charge their cars overnight (on off-peak electrical
power, at home) and get the energy equivalent of 150 mpg (even
counting the overall 70% charge efficiency of the battery system) for
the daily commute.  Enough that even one production generation will
bring the concept close enough to maturity for them to displace
gasoline-powered vehicles.

The Prius isn't quite what it could be.  In a plug-chargeable
configuration (which is sold, and legal, everywhere but the USA --
ever notice that blank spot in the row of buttons on the dash?  In
Japan, the "EV" button goes there -- the car runs entirely off the
battery for a significant distance, which could be substantially
improved with a different battery/charger/firmware arrangement.) a lot
of short-range commutes become grid-powered.  It's not a hard
conversion if you don't mind voiding the warranty, people are doing it
successfully here.  The demand is dropping mainly because a
substantial part of this country's population thinks gasoline prices
will never, ever go back up.  Is that the best metric to go by when
forecasting demand?

> Contrast this with the bioengineered biofuel market, which the US is
> clearly
> leading.  European rules are so strict, they might as well prohibit
> bioengineering.  But, in the US, costs for the tools of the trade are
> dropping faster than Moore's law: almost a factor of two per year.
> This
> isn't PC, because we're tampering with nature, but it has a much
> better
> chance of working than solutions that have a horrid cost/benefit
> ratio.

If there's biofuel technology that doesn't significantly impact the
food stream as a source of motor vehicle fuel, then I'm all for it.
I'm not anywhere near PC myself, and if there's a GMO solution that
actually does provide a decent rate of return without investing more
energy in getting energy out of the fuel produced or cut too deeply
into the food supply, great.  Hadn't heard of this.

"When you mention that we want five debates, say what they are: one on
the economy, one on foreign policy, with another on global threats and
national security, one on the environment, and one on strengthening
family life, which would include health care, education, and
retirement. I also think there should be one on parts of speech and
sentence structure. And one on fractions." -- Toby Ziegler